Project ENGAGES High School Student Application Information – APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR 2023-2024 CLASS IS FEBRUARY 28, 2023!
Georgia Tech’s Project ENGAGES: A Partnership with the Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (CSKYWLA), B.E.S.T Academy, Benjamin E. Mays High School, Charles R. Drew Charter School, South Atlanta High School, Booker T. Washington High School, and D.M. Therrell High School
Project ENGAGES is designed to engage under-representative minority high school students through programmatic classroom activities and a paid year-long research project at Georgia Tech. Students who are selected are expected to spend a minimum of 35 hours/week in their Georgia Tech research laboratory and participate in enrichment programs during the summer and 15 hours/week in their Georgia Tech research laboratory during the school year. The program is intended for those with an interest in science, biology, bioengineering, biotechnology, physics, and other areas of engineering, e.g. environmental engineering, materials, and robotics. It is offered with the hope that participants, through their research and interactions with the variety of activities, will learn about career path possibilities that are obtainable and that the experience will help them set and achieve their goals.
Who should apply?
- Rising juniors who will be age 16 by June 1, 2023
- If you applied last year but were not eligible due to age
All applicants must attend either Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (CSKYWLA), B.E.S.T Academy, Benjamin E. Mays High School, Charles R. Drew Charter School, South Atlanta High School, Booker T. Washington High School, or D.M.Therrell High School and must have an overall GPA average of 83 (3.0) or above and must complete science courses with a GPA of 83 (3.0) or above.
The application for Project ENGAGES can be submitted online (find below) by 11:59 pm on Tuesday, February 28, 2023. Additional information can be obtained from the Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (CSKYWLA), B.E.S.T Academy, Benjamin E. Mays High School, Charles R. Drew Charter School, South Atlanta High School, Booker T. Washington High School, or D.M. Therrell High School.
- Interview Date – March 24, 2023
- Mandatory Orientation Date – April 15, 2023
- First Day of Work – June 1, 2023
- Summer Research Symposium – July 20, 2023
- Completed application form (with parent’s/legal guardian’s approval)
- Two letters of recommendation (One letter must be from your current science teacher). The second letter can be from another academic-related reference such as your counselor, teacher, academic club advisor, or other (if other specify). Please be prepared to provide your references’ email addresses.
- Personal statement
Resume: Applicants’ resumes should consist of their full legal name, contact information, education, work/research experience, achievements, and role in any clubs or volunteer organizations in which they are involved, interests/activities, and computer skills.
Personal Statement: In two pages double-spaced, the following questions should be considered when writing your personal statement:
- Think about yourself: What do you feel defines your life? What are your future goals and interests? What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
- Think about your high-school experience: What are your favorite subjects? For what subject do you feel you need the most help? How do you handle challenging classes?
- Describe any previous work or research experiences; either through a summer program or academic year program and what did you gain from the experience.
- Think about science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM): How do you feel these areas impact your life? Would you like to learn more about research in these areas?
- Think about what makes you happy: What are your hobbies? Are you involved in any sport at school or outside of school? Why do these things make you happy?
- How do you feel this opportunity would be of value to your future?
In addition to the completed application package, the school should provide the biology and chemistry diagnostic test results of each student applying to the Project ENGAGES panel. Finalists will be interviewed by a joint Georgia Tech/high-school staff panel, prior to decisions being made on acceptance into the Project ENGAGES program. If selected, the following are additional items that will be needed:
- Parental consent form
**Application Deadline February 28, 2023**